|5 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup toasted walnuts
1 cup diced ham
|1. In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted. Add the flour and stir until smooth.
2. Over medium heat, cook until the mixture turns a light, golden color, about 7 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the milk in a separate pan until just about to boil.
4. Add the hot milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth.
5. Bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.
6. Season with salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
7. Use as sauce for gnocchi and top with the toasted walnuts and ham.