1 leg of lamb (4-6 lbs)
4 cloves garlic, quartered lengthwise
salt and pepper
1 bottle red wine
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 large onion, minced
1 red bell pepper, minced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped fine
1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
2 bay leaves, crushed
1/4 teaspoon dried lavender, chopped (optional)
1. Rub lamb generously with salt and pepper. Cut 16 small slits all the way around and insert garlic quarters. Wrap loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Mix all marinade ingredients in a baking dish deep enough to submerge lamb in liquid. Remove plastic wrap from lamb and place in marinade. Be sure the entire leg is covered with liquid. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours, turning once, before cooking.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Remove lamb from marinade and place on rack in a roasting pan. Pour marinade in bottom of pan and roast for about 20 minutes per pound, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the leg reaches 150o (do not let thermometer touch the bone).
4. Remove lamb from oven and allow to stand 10 - 15 minutes before carving.
5. Just before serving, pour marinade from the roasting pan into a blender and puree. Spoon sauce over sliced lamb and garnish with mint leaves and thyme sprigs.