|1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
almond slivers or pitted black and/or green olives for fingernails
|Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
1. In a food processor, add the butter, cheese, flour, salt and cayenne and process until a smooth dough is formed.
2. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes and roll on a lightly floured surface until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
3. Cut into 3-4 inch strips with a pizza wheel or sharp knife.
4. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to racks to cool.
5. While the the straws are cooking, cut the olives into half lengthwise. Press the olive half (or the almond sliver) into the tip of the cheese straw as it is cooling.